Thursday 4 April 2019

My First Call of Cthulhu Character

For a few years now I've had a dream of running a Call of Cthulhu campaign. In particular, I want to run that legendary campaign Masks of Nyarlathotep. It's a sprawling, globe-trotting mystery, full of weird horror, and it's been heavily hacked and expanded by fans over the years, such that the setting has taken on a life of it's own. The only thing stopping me is that I have to learn the CoC system...

As a first step towards learning the system, I created a character. He's a disgraced baseball player who has moved back to his hometown of Salem. He has too much money, energy, and time on his hands, and people like that have a way of stumbling into cultists and cosmic horrors. He has a mean fastball, is good with a bat, and has taken up shooting cans and bottles with a .38 revolver on his estate, now that he so much time on his hands.

Buck Pickman

The rule set I managed to get my hands on was 1999's Edition 5.6. I'm not sure how this edition compares with earlier ones in terms of complexity, but it took a fair amount of time to make all the rolls, allocations, and background for this character. I want to see if earlier editions are simpler since I generally prefer lighter rule-sets.

No comments:

Post a Comment