Monday 16 April 2012

Used Book Shopping Cart

I recently received a couple crates from my parents' storage, containing my old book collection from High School and various other doodads. So I made my first trip to the used book store to trade-in some old books!

I brought in 7 books from The Wheel of Time series and this is what I got in return. Did I get a good deal? You be the judge :)


The Chronicles of Amber: Volume II by Robert Zelazny
I've never read any of the Amber series, but I understand that it was very influential on classic DnD. I would have liked to start with Volume I, but thus is used book shopping and beggars can't be choosers.







Foundation and Empire by Isaac Asimov
I have a weakness for Asimov short-stories. The retro robots, the (often corny) twist endings. I've never read any of his novels though, so this was an easy pick.







Beyond the Farthest Star by Burroughs
I didn't recognize the title of this one, apparently being one of Burroughs' less popular works, but I immediately recognized Frazetta's work on the cover and then saw the author. The weird space-plane leaves a bit to be desired, so apparently Frazetta later did another version of the cover with a dude with a raygun and a lion-thing, but I included the picture of the cover from the edition I have. I've only ever read A Princess of Mars so I'm interested to see how this compares.




Night World by Robert Bloch
I never heard of this, but I recognized Bloch's name from the introduction he wrote to The Best of H.P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre. I see he wrote Psycho and was a member of the Lovecraft Circle so I'm curious to see if I can spot any of HPL's influence.







Hyperborea by CAS
I had just about given up finding any other books when I pulled this out from behind another book: a short story collection by one of my favorite authors! I've read plenty of his stories over at Eldritch Dark, but I've never owned any printings of them. Just goes to show: with used book shopping, persistence pays!

No comments:

Post a Comment